Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What is best product for flea control on cats, Revolution, Advantage, or Frontline?

I have heard of all three but was wondering if anyone has had any luck with one or another? Thanks.What is best product for flea control on cats, Revolution, Advantage, or Frontline?
Tests show that Advantage works fastest, but after a day or so they all work about equally well.





Note that Frontline also works against ticks, while Advantage does not. (Don't know about Revolution on ticks.)





Advantage does not penetrate the skin at all. Frontline isn't supposed to, but a tiny bit does in fact go systemic. This isn't dangerous for most cats, but if a cat has liver trouble or is highly susceptible to chemicals, you might prefer Advantage. (Again, don't know about Revolution in this regard.)





My kitty boys hated the chemical smell of Advantage and they always seemed subdued for a day after application, as if they didn't feel so great. They didn't object at all to Frontline and showed no effect after application. (I never tried Revolution on them.)





I settled on Frontline because of tick protection and because The Boys didn't object to it or react to it.





Also, beware of counterfeit Advantage, Frontline %26amp; Revolution!!! Realistic-looking fakes have flooded the market and some of them are lethally dangerous! Legitimate retailers have been fooled, so only buy your stuff from a vet practice that orders through a manufacturer's rep.





And also beware of Hartz Mountain look-alike products. They have been removed from the market by the federal government due to a high number of deaths resulting from their use, but wholesalers and retailers are being allowed to sell their existing stocks.What is best product for flea control on cats, Revolution, Advantage, or Frontline?
I used Revolution and it is great on my 22yo kitty. No rashes, no earmites, keeps fleas off kitty and off of you and your environment!

Report Abuse



i have dogs and use advantage it works great for them but i have heard frontline is the best for cats.
frontline


guarantee
Revolution. It is also for heartworm, and it is very important to use a preventative for heartworm on your cat as there is no treatment if your cat gets heartworms. It costs more because it does more.
ADVANTAGE!!! I have indoor and outdoor cats...none have fleas!!
I have 30 cats and I have had great results with, (ADVANTAGE) only in the (ORANGE) tube regardless of the weight of the cat. I have been able to make 4 tubes of it stretch to do my 30 cats and it works! Don't listen when a vet says it can't work that way, but it does! What I do is put a drop of it on my thumb, rub my thumb and index finger together and gently pinch the back of the neck of a cat rubbing in the stuff, that's all it takes and often if it won't stretch to all the cats, it still works, they all sleep together, so the fleas don't have a chance. I don't have a bad flea problem, so maybe that's why it works. I don't like to use any of that stuff, but when I do, I don't put it ALL on a cat as they say, I use it very sparingly and it works! Years ago I had terrible flea problems then I tried the orange tubes of Advantage, and it works! If I bought a tube for each cat, it would cost me around $300. Also I don't believe in putting a whole tube on a cat either.
frontline is the best
Our vet always recomends Frontline and when I used it, it worked really fast, and they sell it now at certain pet stores so you don't have to get it from the vets office.
I have used Frontline since it came out, and found it excellent, but what people dont do is treat their homes against fleas at the same time. Spray carpets and rugs, edges of rooms, where your cat sleeps (dont spray where there are fishtanks). Do NOT use the room spray on the animal, it is very strong and will harm her. A new product called Stronghold is now available, and this takes on fleas, ticks, worms, earmites etc. and is absolutely excellent. The best products are those from your vet; pet shop remedies just dont work!! Good Luck.
Frontline..........
mjmorrisey99 is absolutely right about the hartz products and about only purchasing flea/tick preventative from a reputable place (namely your vet). Hartz is not only ineffective but deadly. I have seen quite a few toxic reactions to it in cats at the animal hospital where I work and even a few deaths. I can't quite understand why the product isn't off of the market. It's infuriating !!! Also, we don't recommend purchasing flea and tick prevention from places such as petmeds express, etc... it has nothing to do with, as people say, vets ';trying to make a buck'; it's in your pets best interest to purchase it through your vet who purchases it through the actual manufacturer. ANyway, mu opinion is if fleas AND ticks concern you then Frontline is a must. Advantage is only for fleas and I've heard many people say if fleas are the only concern that advantage works best anyway. I'm not really sure about Revolution-we only rarely use it at my hospital.... and it's controversial wether or not it protects against deer ticks anyway !!!
no
frontline ttly because advantage doesnt really work 4 cats 2 well frontline works 4 my cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment